5 reasons to keep a career journal
By Sharlyn Lauby | July 10, 2017
Journaling is an activity of recording experiences, ideas, and thoughts for later use. Many famous people have kept notebooks or journals including Thomas Jefferson, Ernest Hemingway, Marie Curie, and Frida Kahlo. The practice of keeping a journal has been around for a long time. In fact, some of us might have kept a journal when we were younger (i.e. a personal diary).
Even though we’re not teenagers anymore, keeping a journal is still very valuable. And for that reason, people are starting to keep journals to help them with their career.
5 Benefits of Keeping a Career Journal
The good news about career journaling is that you can make the experience whatever you want. If there’s a specific topic you want to focus on (like how to be a better writer), then your career journal can be dedicated to that topic. Or maybe you want to plan for a future career change.
If you like the idea of career journals, but are unsure about what to write about, consider these benefits. It might help you discover a strategy.
1. Become more self-aware. An increasing number of organizations are looking for employees who display self-awareness. Being self-aware is defined as having a conscious knowledge of our own character and feelings. Self-awareness allows us to see our strengths and weaknesses. It can also be used to strengthen our emotional intelligence, which has been connected to leadership capability.
2. Set goals. We set goals in our personal and professional lives. Journals can help us document our goals, develop action plans to achieve them, and identify success strategies. In addition, we can also use our journals to understand what happened when we didn’t accomplish our goals, and consider steps so it doesn’t repeat in the future.
3. Contemplate ideas. Ever have a great idea that you’re not ready to tell anyone? Journals are a perfect place to write them down. You might also want to use a journal to work through details – things like budget, resources, implementation, etc. And when you do start telling people about your idea, use your journal to document reactions and questions.
4. Recognize trends. If you have a habit that you’re trying to start (or stop), documenting the circumstances around the situation could be helpful. For example, experts say keeping a food journal that includes emotions can help people notice stress triggers. When it comes to career journaling, is it possible when we’re stressed or constrained at work, we notice trends in our behavior?
5. Track accomplishments. We’ve already mentioned setting goals and idea planning. This is a little different. Journaling can help us realize when we turn those plans and ideas into results. Sometimes we forget to see the small steps as true accomplishments (and we really should). Small actions or steps can have a huge impact.
By focusing on the benefits you would like to see from your career journaling efforts, you can refine the scope of your writing.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Order it here claim 25% discount
Discount Code: SAVE25