A Summing Amplifier is an operational amplifier (op-amp) that produces an output voltage that is equivalent to an amplified sum of two or more voltages. It allows the circuit to effectively add or sum together several different input voltages or signals. It is typically an inverting amplifier, meaning that the voltage from the output when measured to ground should be a negative value. The typical circuit comprises of two or more resistors in parallel from different voltage sources that all lead into the negative terminal of the op-amp. The spot at which all input signals connect is called the virtual earth node, and because of this point all of the signals are effectively isolated from each other. If the values of the input resistors are all the same, the circuit becomes a unity gain inverting adder, while if the values are different from each other the circuit becomes a scaling summing amplifier.
To calculate the Gain(Av) for this circuit, you would use the formula
There is another option for a summing amplifier, and that is the non-inverting style. The difference between the two is that the non-inverting amplifier has the signal sent to the positive terminal of the op-amp and does also not have the virtual earth node but instead a summing junction. Because of these differences the Non-inverting variation has a substantial increase of input impedance. Also, the input summing part of the circuit is unaffected if the op-amps closed-loop voltage gain is changed.
To calculate the gain for this type of summing amplifier the equation slightly changes to
Storr, W. (2022, August 4). The Summing Amplifier. Basic Electronics Tutorials. https://www.electronics-
Links to an external site.tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_4.html
Summing Amplifier – Operational Amplifiers – Basics Electronics. (n.d.). https://ecstudiosystems.com/discover/textbooks/basic-electronics/operational-amplifiers/summing-amplifier/
Summing Amplifier: Inversion Properties and Op-Amp Varieties. (2020, July 21). https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2020-summing-amplifier-inversion-properties-and-op-amp-varieties
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Order it here claim 25% discount
Discount Code: SAVE25